So, my friend Alison just posted an interesting exercise on her blog. Here’s the deal, straight from her page:
1. Go to Wikipedia.
2. In the Search box, type your birth month and day (but not year).
3. List three events that happened on your birthday.
4. List two important birthdays and one interesting death.
5. Post it.
So, here’s what I came up with! My birthday is Aug 24.
79 – Mount Vesuvius erupts. The cities of Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Stabiae are buried in volcanic ash. [For some reason, I’ve known this for a very long time. Guess someone felt compelled to tell me thousands of people DIED on my birthday. Or maybe I read it in a kid book. I dunno.]
1690 – Calcutta, India is founded. [Neat given I have Indian in me three generations ago from my mom’s side.]
1992 – Hurricane Andrew hits South Florida. [I live in Florida. Hmm.]
1929 – Yasser Arafat, Palestinian leader, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 2004)
1973 – David Chappelle, American actor and comedian
1595 – Thomas Digges, English astronomer (b. 1546) [A popularizer of science; one of the first people to write, in English, that there are “a multitude of stars extending to infinity in all directions.”]
Pretty nifty! What happened on your birthday?
I don’t normally do these sorts of things, but I was tagged by Alison, so it’s not like I had a choice.
Four jobs I’ve had:
2. Lawn mower
3. I/T Consultant
Four places I’ve lived:
1. Toronto – 1998, co-op workterm, roomies with two students studying naturopathy
2. Ottawa – 2000, co-op workterm, with roomies Greg and Tim
3. Redmond – 2001, another co-op workterm, this time working for The Man
4. Victoria – most of my life
Four of my favourite dishes:
1. Brown chicken curry by Mom
2. Spaghetti and thick tomato sauce with cubes of slightly melted, aged cheddar
3. Chicken red curry at Pad Thai in Sarasota
4. Jerk chicken fajitas
Four places I would rather be right now:
3. Maracas Beach
4. Leesville (tongue, as they say, firmly in cheek)
Me, Melissa, Eric and Cam last Thursday.
So, here’s *my* entry into my Essence of Me challenge. Have a look (and a listen — the download link is below the tracklist).
Krishen – Essence of Me.
01. Opus III – It’s A Fine Day – 5:29
02. 54-40 – Casual Viewin’ – 4:43
03. Dido – Life for Rent – 3:41
04. Icehouse – Man Of Colours – 5:11
05. Rush – Roll The Bones – 5:30
06. Prodigy – Poison – 6:42
07. Massive Attack – Unfinished Sympathy – 5:08
08. Future Sound of London – Papua New Guinea – 6:47
09. Deee-Lite – Groove Is In The Heart – 3:51
10. Pet Shop Boys – Too Many People – 4:17
11. Five for Fighting – Superman – 3:41
12. Luscious Jackson – Naked Eye – 4:40
13. Paul Oakenfold – Starry Eyed Surprise – 3:48
14. Barenaked Ladies – Pinch Me – 4:45
15. Paul Van Dyk – Time Of Our Lives (PVD Club Mix) ft. Vega 4 – 7:26
So there I am in music. At least, that’s me as of last Wednesday. It could definitely vary a little given some time. I wasn’t going to at first, but I really liked how Julie went through her tracks and told us a little about what they meant to her, so I’m going to try and do something similar here.
Candice, Lisa, and Darren, out for a bite Thursday night, after the first Ultimate game of the summer league.
Happy 20th birthday Neil! It’s all downhill from here. 🙂
Wow, the response to the Essence Of playlists was more than I was expecting! Thanks to everyone who took part; I have submissions from seven different people (not including me). Most of the playlists are tidied up and ready to post. The only one I’m missing is Jeff’s, which is sitting on my computer at work. It’s kind of important, since it was his playlist which inspired the challenge in the first place. (Incidentally Jeff you need to get a blog).
A prize? How’s a petrified shark’s tooth sound? I’ll be doing the draw some time during the evening, so you’ll want to check back then.
Damn it’s been a long day. We’re going into end-game mode at work — put in six hours today along with most of the rest of the engineering team. Days like these can be fun, but as Cam mentions, it really helps when you’ve got a goal you’re trying to accomplish. I managed to meet mine, so I’m pretty happy about how all that went.
Hit the beach around three with Cam, Melissa, Kai, Darren and his two friends down from Ontario to visit — Lisa and Candice. Good times were had (both in and out of the water), and afterwards hit the Dacquiri Deck for some grub.
And then it was over to Darren’s to hang out. We ended up watching Spaceballs. Man, it had been a few years since I last saw it, but I don’t remember it being that funny before. Funny what a little time can do.
I was exhausted at the St. Pete game tonight. I could barely run, the people I was supposed to be checking easily escaped me. Perhaps 7 hours of Ultimate in four days is too much? ‘Course it could be that I stuffed myself with bratwurst twice in that time too. But that’s fuel, right? Right?
In other news, I got word that my TN-Visa was approved today! Which means I’ll be able to get a bona fide Florida driver’s license in the next few days. Hooray for mobility! And many thanks to Kai, Cam, Darren and Eric J, all of whom have been taxiing me around. Perhaps I could take you all out for a drink?
Oh… what’s that? You only came here to see the “Essence of” playlists? Well, I am changing things slightly and extending the deadline two days in case it motivates a few more entries. Those of you who submit an essence of you playlist by Friday night are automatically eligible for a PRIZE, winner to be determined by random draw. The rules are pretty simple: create a playlist which represents you, is the “essence” of you. The only rule is that the playlist MUST fit on an audio CD (79 mins for those who really need the room). Incidentally I’m still thinking about what said prize will be, but it will definitely be something good. Those of you who have already completed your playlists (you know who you are) — good work, you are already in the running. The rest of you: you do like prizes, right?
Once you’re done, send your list to krishen at alumni dot uvic dot ca, and I’ll post the results/winner on Saturday. 🙂
Well, now that I’ve managed to alienate all of my readers with talk of Buffy and Ultimate, perhaps it’s time for a post on something else? (I did play tonight 🙂
Jeff proposed an interesting idea a couple days ago: make an “Essence of You” playlist. The songs in the playlist should be reflective of who you are (not necessarily what you listen to on a regular basis). The only restriction is that the total time must not exceed the length of an audio CD — 79 mins or so.. let’s say 74 to be on the safe side. There’s no restriction on the number of tracks or the length of the tracks. If you think one big long track describes you best, well that would be fine.
I’ve started “Essence of Krishen” and man is it tough. 74 minutes really isn’t long enough to describe me! But that’s what makes it so interesting. I’ve only got a few tracks so far, but I will post it as soon as I’ve got it worked out. I am challenging you, the krishenblog reader, to come up with your own “Essence Of” playlist. Once you’re satisfied with it, send it to me, and on Wednesday, I’ll post the results here.
* Ouch. Sony introduces what looks to the iPod’s first serious competition. While I think the iPod still has fundamentally better physical design (based on what I can see from the product shot on the news page) [and a better moniker: the Sony player is called the “NW-HD1 Network Walkman”; for something that weighs just four ounces it’s sure got a clunky name], at a comparable price, the Sony has 30 hours of battery life compared to the iPod’s eight. Pretty hard to ignore.
* The New York Times interviews Ronald Reagan’s son. Seems like a pretty sensible guy to me (via eclecticism).
Tonight’s photo is from the archives — downtown St. Pete, taken a couple weeks ago. Haven’t been out with my camera nearly enough. Hope to rectify that soon. 🙂
Happy Canada Day everyone!